Canada has always been a friendly country in terms of immigration, and due to its need for skilled workers and the large amount of experienced Indian citizens with technical skills, it has been a match made in heaven.
To attract more skilled workers to the country, Canada implemented a skilled worker immigration program called Express Entry in 2015. Just last year, nearly 280,000 profiles were submitted through the system (a 10% increase from 2017).
If you’re a tech worker interested in immigrating to Canada, here is some data to help you decide if it’s the right option for you:
Of the 280,000 profiles submitted through Express Entry, 89,800 were invited to apply in 2018 – an increase of 4.3% from 2017. Canada has committed to bringing one million immigrants to the country over the next three years, so we expect these numbers to continue to rise.
To give you an idea of the types of applicants Canada is targeting, of the 89,800 invitations:
• 51% were between 20-29 years old and 34% were between 30-34
• 46% were Indian citizens
• 45% were residing in Canada, 19% were residing in India, and 11% in the US
• 94% had either a 3+ year post-secondary degree, Master’s Degree, entry-to-practice professional degree or PhD
• 39% had more than 5 years of work experience
Canada is also using Express Entry to attract more tech workers to the country, as the top three occupations invited to apply were:
#1 – Software engineers and designers (7%)
#2 – Information systems analysts and consultants (6%)
#3 – Computer programmers and interactive media developers (4%)
And if you’re worried about not having any experience or history in Canada, you shouldn’t be:
• 60% had 0-1 years of Canadian work experience
• Only 10% had arranged employment in Canada
• 12% had siblings in Canada
From the data above, it’s quite clear that Indian tech workers with post-secondary education and good work experience have done quite well with the Canadian Express Entry program. To figure out if Express Entry is a good option for you, fill out our quick form here to join!